Did you know that Spanish salmorejo not only helps prevent colon cancer, but it also helps to avoid the side effects of chemotherapy?
In general, salmorejo is a very healthy recipe. It’s made almost entirely with vegetable products. It makes an indispensable dish for people who want to take care of themselves.
It’s also easy to make and it lasts for several days. This makes it a great alternative for people who don’t like to cook or for those who don’t have much time for cooking.
Sometimes, you don’t just want to cook healthy, but you’re also looking for something fast and easy to make. This is because work and family demands can be very strict.
On the other hand, a recent study shows that the ingredients in salmorejo are very useful for reducing your risk of colon cancer:
- Tomatoes have a series of compounds that get in the way of cancer cell growth.
- When these chemicals, lycopenes, come into contact with olive oil, their effect intensifies.
- If that wasn’t enough, the rest of the ingredients you add to salmorejo improve your immune system health. This also helps to create a barrier against cancer-based mutations.
Despite its advantages, many people don’t know how to make this dish. You might know that it’s very similar to a cold soup or gazpacho. However, salmorejo has a very characteristic texture.
In this article, we’ll tell you how to make this delicious and nutritious salmorejo.
The recipe that we’re going to show you in this article is for two servings. So, depending on how many you have for dinner, you’ll need to calculate the amount of ingredients you’ll need accordingly.
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 loaf of hard bread
- 1 clove of garlic (you can add more if you want a more intense flavor)
- Salt (to taste)
Note: We always recommend using sea salt. This is because it doesn’t produce the negative effects of iodized salt.
How to make salmorejo
1. Peel the tomatoes.
This job won’t be as complex if you follow the steps we explain down below:
- Put some water on to boil. Then, get a large bowl full of ice water.
- Score an “X” on the bottom of each tomato with knife.
- When the water starts boiling, immerse the tomatoes in it for one minute.
- Afterwards, take them out and chill them in the ice water.
This way, you can peel them much easier.
2. Prepare the bread.
Take the hard bread and break it into pieces and put in the bottom of a container. If you want, you can use a bread pan. However, for it to be useful in this recipe, it needs to be hard.
3. Add the tomatoes.
- Return to the tomatoes to slice them into wedges.
- Then, place them on top of the bread and add the salt.
- Leave the tomatoes to release their juices for 30 minutes. This way, the bread will absorb their flavor.
4. Chop the garlic.
Since we aren’t going to cook it, there are some people who prefer to take out the center part to keep it from being bitter.
Keeping its properties in mind, we prefer to enjoy the whole thing. You know yourself better than anyone. You’ll surely make the best decision in this case.
4. Add the olive oil and put it in the blender.
Once 30 minutes have passed, pour the olive oil on the bread, tomato and garlic.
Then, blend everything.
Even though it will still be thick, it’s also important that it has a fine, delicate texture. While you beat and blend it, taste it to make sure it has enough salt and garlic. Now is the time to balance everything and get the flavor you want.
5. Chill it.
When you have the consistency and flavor you want, it’s time to put in the refrigerator for a few hours.
The idea is that it should be very cool. The amount of time depends on your fridge.
If you want to dress it up, you can add some ham shavings and a hard-boiled egg.
As you can see, this is a very easy recipe. Plus, the ingredients are very easy to get and affordable!
Besides being a good complement for reducing your risk of colon cancer, it’s also good for protecting lower defenses caused by chemo and radiation therapies.
The post This Delicious Salmorejo Helps Reduce Your Risk of Colon Cancer appeared first on Step To Health.