How to rehab with kefir?
Kefir is considered to be the oldest known fermented milk drink and is thought to have originated many centuries ago in the Caucasus Mountains. It is one of the best foods to health rehab.
It is traditionally made from cow’s milk, goat’s milk or sheep’ milk and kefir “grains”, live active yeast and bacteria, proteins, lipids, and sugars that feed the organisms. But, in the last few years, there has been a lot of buzz about coconut kefir which is made with either coconut water or coconut milk.
What bacteria Kefir includes?
It includes at least 4 families and 11 species of probiotics and a total of more than 30 microflora:
Lb. brevis, Lb.cellobiosus, Lb. kefir, Lb.kefiranofaciens, Lb.casei ssp. rhamnosus και ssp.alactosus, Lb.casei Lb helveticus
ssp. lactis, Lb deldruevkii ssp. lactis and ssp. bulgaricus Lb.lactis, Lb acidophilus
Lc.lactis ssp.lactis and ssp. cremoris and Var. diacetylactis, Lc salivarius ssp. thermophilus, Enterococcus durans, Leuconostoc
K. fragilis / marxianus
Saccharomyces ssp. Torulopsis holmii (torulla ssp.)
Acetobacters aceti A. Rasens
- The good bacteria in kefir can help detox toxins and poisons that are introduced into your digestive system through the food you eat and fluids you drink.
- The good bacteria that are normally present in the gut can do this too but so many people have had courses of antibiotics that wipe out good bacteria and eat a diet that does not support the existence and growth of the beneficial bacteria that they do not have the ability to do this.
- A published study showed that the bacteria also have the ability to detoxify poisons that are known to cause cancer.
- Kefir promotes proper bowel movements helping to cleanse the colon. When the liver is not overloaded with toxins from the gut it can perfrom it’s detox function better.
- Kefir contains many nutrients that are needed for the liver’s detox system so can be considered a good detox food.
You can see a concise but complete introduction to Kefir in the following infographics.